JEFFERSON COUNTY REHABILITATION & HEALTH CENTER RENOVATIONS
Renovations to this health facility focused on demolition of unused nursing home wings and the reconnecting of these residential units to support facilities. In the process of maintaining building services located in tunnels under the demolished facilities, an infill of new arcades of salvaged brick and precast accents was constructed over the tunnels. The new arcades reconnect fragments of arcades remaining from the original 1931 design and add an entry element at a new visitor parking lot. They also form a sunny courtyard for use in visiting patients and to reconnect the residential units. County Maintenance personnel assisted in refurbishing existing windows, painting and in refinishing of pews and liturgical furnishings in the chapel.
Owner: Jefferson County Commission
Award: Preservation Award, Birmingham Historical Society